Sep 10, 2023
God’s Love Defined
- “God’s love is an exercise of His goodness towards individual sinners whereby, having identified Himself with their welfare, He has given us His Son to be their Savior, and now brings them to know and enjoy Him in a covenant relation.” (J.I. Packer, Knowing God)
- God declares Himself as the One who abounds in love (Exodus 34:6-7).
- God is declared as the very essence and definition of Love (1 John 4:8,16).
God’s Love Displayed
- God’s love displayed in creation (Genesis 1-2; Psalm 104; 136:3-9).
- God’s love displayed within the Trinity (Matthew 3:16-17; John 5:19-21, 10:14-18, 14:8-11, 17:24-26).
- God’s love displayed to Israel (Deuteronomy 7:7-8, Psalm 136; Jeremiah 31:1-3; Hosea 11:1-4, 13:4-6).
- God’s love displayed to the world and sinners (John 3:16; Romans 5:1-11; 1 John 2:2).
God's Love Demonstrated (1 John 4:7-12)
- Our love for others stems from our new birth in the Gospel work of Christ (7-9)
- Our love for others grows out of God's love for us (10-11)
- God's love is made complete in us as we love others sacrificially (12)